With that in mind, we're making the software available at no cost except for production environments. The way we look at it, if you've made it all the way into production, you're probably getting some significant benefits from our software, and therefore it's not unreasonable to ask for some financial contribution.
We're always open to suggestions and special cases. If you work for a non-profit organization, or an educational organization, please contact us and we'll work with you.
A Logic Object is defined as one unit of business logic. In practical terms, it means one class that contains business logic. As an example, our BusLogicDemo sample application contains three logic objects: CustomerLogic, PurchaseorderLogic, and LineitemLogic. Since the Product class does not have any associated business logic, it is not considered a Logic Object.
Note that this is not the number of tables, or of persistent objects, in your application. In a typical system, many tables will have no business logic associated with them.
Automated Business Logic can be used for free, except in production. All production deployments must obtain a valid license. Note that this includes any beta environment, if it is used for the same purpose as the final production environment. Development and testing environments do not require a license.
Systems using only a small amount of logic (as defined in our price schedule) are an exception. For such systems, no license is required, even in production environments. If, however, such a system grows beyond the Community license's limits (as defined in our price schedule), then a regular license must be acquired.
If you write a piece of software that uses the ABL engine, but is too large for a Community license, you will need to get a reseller's license from Automated Business Logic -- in this case, please contact us.
There is just no way around it, so here is the formal definition of the license:
AUTOMATED BUSINESS LOGIC END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
Notice: This End User License Agreement ("EULA" or "Agreement") is a CONTRACT between you (either an individual or a single entity, "you" or "Licensee") and Automated Business Logic LLC ("ABL"), which covers your use of the Automated Business Logic software and related software components, which may include associated media, printed materials, and "online" or electronic documentation. If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, then do not install or use the Software. By explicitly accepting this EULA, or by installing, copying, downloading, accessing, or otherwise using the Software, you are acknowledging and agreeing to be bound by the following terms.
(a) "Software" shall mean the version of the ABL software, in object form only, excluding any Open Source Software provided with such software, and the media and Documentation provided by ABL to Licensee for which Licensee is granted a use license pursuant to this Agreement.
(b) "Documentation" shall mean the printed or online written reference material furnished to Licensee in conjunction with the Software, including, without limitation, instructions, and end user guides.
(c) "Intellectual Property Rights" shall mean all intellectual property rights, including, without limitation, patents, copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets.
(d) "Open Source Software" means various open source software components provided with the Software that are licensed to you under the terms of the applicable license agreements included with such open source software components or other materials for the Software.
(e) "Updates" shall mean a modification, error correction, bug fix, new release, or other update to or for the Software.
2. LICENSE GRANT, USE AND OWNERSHIP.
(a) Limited License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, ABL grants to Licensee a non-exclusive, non-transferable license (without the right to sublicense) (i) to use the Software in accordance with the Documentation solely for non-production purposes of Licensee's internal business operations, development, evaluation, and education, (ii) to use the Documentation in support of Licensee's authorized use of the Software, and (iii) to make any necessary copies of the Software for archival or backup purposes, provided that all titles and trademarks, copyright, and restricted rights notices are reproduced on such copies.
(b) Restrictions. Licensee shall not copy or use the Software and Documentation except as expressly permitted in this Agreement. Licensee will not, and will not permit any third party to retain, sublicense, rent, copy, modify, create derivative works of, translate any portion of the Software or accompanying Documentation. Licensee may not use the Software and Documentation for any purposes other than those set forth herein.
(c) Ownership. ABL shall own and retain all right, title and interest in and to the Intellectual Property Rights in the Software and any derivative works thereof, subject only to the limited license expressly set forth in Section 2(a) hereof. Licensee does not acquire any other rights, express or implied, in the Software. ALL RIGHTS NOT EXPRESSLY GRANTED HEREUNDER ARE RESERVED TO ABL.
(d) No Support Services. ABL is under no obligation to support the Software in any way or to provide any Updates to Licensee, unless a separate agreement has been entered into between Licensee and ABL. In the event ABL, at its sole discretion, supplies any Update to Licensee, such Update shall be deemed Software hereunder and shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
(e) Third-Party Software. The terms and conditions of this Agreement shall not apply to any Third-Party Software accompanying the Software. Any such Third-Party Software is provided under the terms of the license agreement or copyright notice accompanying such Third-Party Software or in the licenses file accompanying the Software.
(f) Open Source Software. The terms and conditions of this Agreement shall not apply to any Open Source Software accompanying the Software. Any such Open Source Software is provided under the terms of the open source license agreement or copyright notice accompanying such Open Source Software or in the open source licenses file accompanying the Software.
3. TERM AND TERMINATION. ABL may terminate this EULA immediately and without notice if you fail to comply with any term of this EULA. In the event of termination of this EULA, you must immediately cease using and will return to ABL or, at ABL's request, destroy all copies of the Software and Documentation and all other tangible items in your possession or control that are proprietary to or contain Confidential Information. From time to time, ABL may change the terms of this EULA. ABL will notify you of such change. Your continued use of the Software will indicate your agreement to the change. The rights and obligations of the parties set forth in Sections 2(b) 2(c), 2(d), 2(e), 2(f), 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 shall survive termination of this EULA for any reason.
4. CONFIDENTIALITY. "Confidential Information" shall mean all trade secrets, know-how, inventions, techniques, processes, algorithms, software programs, hardware, schematics, and software source documents relating to the Software, and other information provided by ABL, whether disclosed orally, in writing, or by examination or inspection, other than information which Licensee can demonstrate (i) was already known to Licensee, other than under an obligation of confidentiality, at the time of disclosure; (ii) was generally available in the public domain at the time of disclosure to Licensee; (iii) became generally available in the public domain after disclosure other than through any act or omission of Licensee; (iv) was subsequently lawfully disclosed to Licensee by a third party without any obligation of confidentiality; or (v) was independently developed by Licensee without use of or reference to any information or materials disclosed by ABL or its suppliers. Confidential Information shall include without limitation the Software, Documentation, Performance Data, and any Updates. Licensee shall not use any Confidential Information for any purpose other than as expressly authorized under this Agreement. In no event shall Licensee use the Software or any Confidential Information to develop, manufacture, market, sell, or distribute any product or service. Licensee shall limit dissemination of Confidential Information to its employees who have a need to know such Confidential Information for purposes expressly authorized under this Agreement. In no event shall Licensee disclose any Confidential Information to any third party. Without limiting the foregoing, Licensee shall use at least the same degree of care that it uses to prevent the disclosure of its own confidential information of like importance, but in no event less than reasonable care, to prevent the disclosure of Confidential Information.
5. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. IT IS UNDERSTOOD THAT THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED WITHOUT CHARGE FOR LIMITED PURPOSES. ACCORDINGLY, THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF ABL AND ITS SUPPLIERS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS EULA SHALL NOT EXCEED THE LICENSE FEES, IF ANY, PAID BY YOU FOR THE SOFTWARE LICENSED TO YOU UNDER THIS EULA. IN NO EVENT SHALL ABL OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE LIABILITY FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION), HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, EVEN IF ABL AND ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THESE LIMITATIONS SHALL APPLY NOTWITHSTANDING ANY FAILURE OF ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF ANY LIMITED REMEDY.
6. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER. IT IS UNDERSTOOD THAT THE SOFTWARE, DOCUMENTATION, AND ANY UPDATES MAY CONTAIN ERRORS AND ARE PROVIDED FOR LIMITED PURPOSES ONLY. THE SOFTWARE, THE DOCUMENTATION, AND ANY UPDATES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, OR OTHERWISE. ABL AND ITS SUPPLIERS SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS SHALL APPLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER ABL OR ITS LICENSORS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER ANY REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
7. OTHER PROVISIONS.
(a) Governing Law. This Agreement, and all disputes arising out of or related thereto, shall be governed by and construed under the laws of the State of California without reference to conflict of laws principles. All such disputes shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in Alameda County, California, and the parties agree and submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction and venue of these courts.
(b) Assignment. Licensee shall not assign this Agreement or any rights or obligations hereunder, directly or indirectly, by operation of law, merger, acquisition of stock or assets, or otherwise, without the prior written consent of ABL. Subject to the foregoing, this Agreement shall inure to the benefit of and be binding upon the parties and their respective successors and permitted assigns.
(c) Export Regulations. Licensee understands that ABL is subject to regulation by the U.S. government and its agencies, which prohibit export or diversion of certain technical products and information to certain countries and individuals. Licensee warrants that it will comply in all respects with all export and re-export restrictions applicable to the technology and documentation provided hereunder.
(d) Modification. This is the entire agreement between the parties relating to the subject matter hereof and all other terms are rejected. No waiver or modification of this Agreement shall be valid unless in writing signed by each party. The waiver of a breach of any term hereof shall in no way be construed as a waiver of any term or other breach hereof. If any provision of this Agreement is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be contrary to law the remaining provisions of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect.
(e) Government Restrictions. The Software and accompanying documentation are deemed to be "commercial computer software" and "commercial computer software documentation," respectively, pursuant to DFAR Section 227.7202 and FAR Section 12.212(b), as applicable. Any use, modification, reproduction, release, performing, displaying, or disclosing of the Software by the U.S. Government shall be governed solely by the terms of this EULA.
8. CONTACT INFORMATION. If you have any questions about this Agreement, or if you want to contact ABL for any reason, please direct all correspondence to: Automated Business Logic, 4872 Reno Lane, Richmond, CA 94803, USA or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
August, 29th 2011